Saturday, August 22, 2009

Early Morning Adrenaline Rush

Way early Betty woke me- "I need you!!! There's a snake in the den!!! The kitties were trying to play with it!!!!" She had a cat in each arm and really wide eyes. Cats were pretty wide-eyed, too.

I went to look at it and thought, "Yikes, that's a coral snake!" About 4-5 inches long and skinny, really pretty. I put on garden gloves, got cooking tongs and an empty pill bottle and stuffed him in.

Then, just to be sure, I went to the handy-dandy online Florida snake identification guide. Turns out our visitor was not a very poisonous coral snake, but a friendly little scarlet kingsnake.

Everyone calmed down, got heart rates under control, let the cats out of the closed bedroom, and put the visitor back outside where he belonged. Of course, too wired to go back to bed. Cats are still looking and sniffing around the den, looking for their playmate. Of course, I suspect the snake is just as glad he got away.

1 comment: